Genomelink Hackathon 2.0: Build hyper-personalized consumer applications using insights from DNA data with Genomelink API
Genomelink Hackathon 2.0 follows the successful launch of the first edition of our online hackathon, also hosted on Devpost. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, consider joining our in-person hackathons. Sign up for our mailing list to stay tuned for future online & offline events.
The Genomelink Hackathon, hosted by venture-backed genomic startup, AWAKENS, is a developer competition leveraging Genomelink API, to seek out novel use cases for how insights from genomic data can be applied -- to provide actionable insights and access to hyper-personalized services, and education on genomics.
The number of consumers who had their DNA analyzed more than doubled in 2017, with more than 1 in 25 US adults now with their genetic data on hand. The information in our genomic data has the potential to inform on our nutrition, fitness, personality, cognition, and more. Yet, the insights available from genomic data are not yet made relevant or useful to people’s lives. How can we use this data effectively?
Genomelink API enables any developer/company to create apps or services that are hyper-personalized, based on their users’ DNA data. Here’s how: Genomelink API provides insights on genetic traits of interest with just a few lines of code -- without advanced requirements like genomics expertise or how to securely handle raw DNA data. This means that you’ll be able rapidly integrate DNA-personalization into your new or existing app. With APIs like Genomelink API, the opportunity for developers to contribute to the exciting new field of personal genomics has become wide open!
What kind of personalized app will you create, to enhance people’s lives through improving our health, wellness, lifestyle, and learning experience?
Get started now by creating your free Genomelink developer account, learning how to use Genomelink API (review the list of genetic traits available here), and reading about apps developed in previous Genomelink hackathons.
AWAKENS has built Genomelink, a Stripe-type API solution that enables any developers / companies to build hyper-personalized apps based on the consumer’s DNA data. Supported by Illumina Accelerator, Berkeley SkyDeck, key Berkeley and Stanford faculties in nutrition and genomics, AWAKENS is building an infrastructure that will fuel the creation of diversified value-producing use cases of personal genomics. Read about the team here.
$7,000 in prizes
Determined by public voting. Recognition only.
The Hackathon IS open to:
- Individuals who are at least 18 years of age as of the time of entry ("Eligible Individuals")
- Teams of Eligible Individuals ("Teams")
- Teams of Eligible Individuals entering on behalf of Organizations (including corporations, not-for-profit corporations and other nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities) that exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry ("Organizations")
Main Requirement: Create or update a functioning software application that integrates Genomelink API. Your application may not use genetic insights to discriminate or otherwise harm users.
Your app should help DNA data holders make DNA relevant to their life. This could include helping them learn about themselves, intepret their data better, or access more personalized services.
To get started, check out Submissions from our previous Genomelink Hackathon. We especially like novel solutions & use cases, or original twists to existing solutions. We also encourage the use of other apis in conjuction with Genomelink api. We encourage past participants of Genomelink Hackathon (previously named GENOME LINK Challenge) to submit updates to their existing Genomelink applications or create an entirely new solution. Entrants will be required to explain updates made if submitting an existing Application.
What to include in your submission:
- Include a video demo (max 5 min) + screenshots of your app demonstrating how it works.
- Written description of your solution: Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page.
- Link to availability: including login credentials to private website or access to private repositories if applicable.
- Entrant's (including each team member's) full name and email address
How to enter
- Register for the hackathon on Devpost.
- Create your free Genomelink Developer account
Resources can be found in the developer dashboard
- Find a teammate (optional) by reaching out to other developers on the Participants tab.
- Create or update an awesome DNA-personalized app!
- Shoot your demo video and take screenshots of your functioning app.
- Provide a way to access your project for judging and testing (The Github code repository may be public or private. If the repository is private, share access with @knmkr).
- Submit your application on genomelink2.devpost.com before August 28, 2018 @ 5:00PM PT for consideration in the hackathon!
Vice President, Sony Innovation Fund
COO & Product Manager, Awakens
Quality of idea
Includes the creativity and originality of the idea.
Includes how well the developer leveraged the Genomelink API.
Feasibility & Viability in market
Can this idea be implemented in the real world? How will users interact with and gain information from the application? Judges will evaluate both the practicality of the solution and how significant an impact it will have.